Monday, April 4, 2011

Progress!!!

This weekend, I finished the initial phase of my vegetable garden: clear the space, trim the bushes & plot the layout. It may be hard to tell from the picture, but I put some metal rods in the 4 corners & then laid out some wood to get a sense of the space. When I measured it, it turned out to be 7 feet wide & 9 feet long. That was a little bit bigger than I was thinking, but it is aesthetically pleasing for the space. As long as I can find some 2x4's that come in a 10' length, I'll be OK. I went to Lowe's & priced out some of the wood, but it was for 8' long boards. Next weekend is build week - I need to buy the lumber & get started! I'm really getting very excited about the garden & even though pulling weeds isn't my favorite chore, I had a lot of fun working outside this weekend. I will probably enlist Dwight's help when it comes to
putting the boards together - it's been a loooong time since my Theatre Stagecraft days & I want to be sure to get this project right!


I also e-mailed the Town of Normal & they have free landscaping woodchips for residents when available, so I will be checking back with them next week, as they didn't have any right now. In the next couple weeks, I need to figure out how much dirt I will need & where to get it from, so that I can be on track for planting in a few weeks! I hope I still have this much excitement for my garden after the plants are in!

No comments:

Post a Comment