Monday, April 11, 2011

The Bed is Built

What a busy weekend! After getting some good advice & doing a little more research, I decided to go with a 4' x 8' garden. First I bought some weed control cloth to lay down. Even though I measured the space, I was a few feet off, and I was NOT going to buy another roll for just a few feet, so I improvised with a section of a plastic drop cloth. (I didn't even have large, black plastic bags - oh well!) Here's a shot of the area - you can see the plastic here. A big THANK YOU to our friend Gary G. who loaned us his electric saw so we could cut the wood. I went with cedar - a little bit more expensive up front, but it resists decay.
It helps to have a great, wonderful, fantastic, smart & strong guy who will give up a good chunk of his day to work on a project for you. Thanks to my husband, Dwight, for a great build this weekend!
Yay! Finished box! Now I just need dirt for inside the box & woodchips to go around it. I also was informed by someone very close to me (see above pic) that I did not do a great job getting the ground level, so he suggested that I soak the ground around the box & then walk on the box to get it set in the ground.
I hope to have this thing all finished and ready to plant in a couple/few weeks. I can start with my spinich, that I have been growing inside from seeds & then add a few more veggies. The picture makes my garden look kinda small, but I think it will be manageable for me this year & if I feel like I need more space, I can always build another box! More pics hopefully soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment